On the 28th April 2022, the Institute of Water South West region launched a new Award called the “Pride in the South West Award” in memory of Dr. Stephen Bird.
It’s quite fitting that this launch was in Plymouth and that it was close to the third anniversary of Stephen Bird’s passing. (10th May 2019). For those that did not know Stephen he was South West Water’s Managing Director, he was born and lived in Plymouth and worked at South West Water since 1992. Prior to which he worked for Welsh Water Authority and the then National Rivers Authority.
Those that knew Stephen will tell you he was passionate about the South West and not just South West Water, his leadership included work across the region’s business and economic interests, he was a board member on the Heart of the South West local enterprise partnership, South West Business Council and Devon and Plymouth Chamber of Commerce.
He was also very passionate about people and would always make sure that there was always the right person in the right role. He loved innovation and research as well as establishing training and helped to establish the South Devon University Technical Collage in Newton Abbot.
So it is quite fitting that we are launching a new award called the “Pride in the South West Award”. We are looking for those individuals who are passionate about Water and the South West and can show how they deliver meaningful benefits to the people, communities or the Environment in the South West.
There are only two rules required to qualify:
1) The candidate should be based within the Institute of Water South West Region – Bristol, Cornwall, Devon and across to Bournemouth and up to Swindon.
2) The candidate should be associated with the water sector.
The award is all about the individual and we want to know three things for the judges;
- Why is this candidate so special ?
- What have they delivered for the South West ?
- How have they delivered this with passion that differentiates them and makes them special ?
We are opening this competition till the end of May whereby our panel of judges will select a winner from the entries.
What will they win;
- A free place at the Institute of Water National conference in Leeds with Evening dinner with the SW Committee, hotel accommodation and travel costs. (12th-15th July)
- A cash prize of £200. (Sponsored by South West Water)
- The opportunity to look after the ‘Pride in the South West’ Blue glass Kanagawa Wave trophy for a year
To download an application form please click here