The Institute of Water, founded in 1945, is the only professional body that exclusively supports the careers of anyone working in the UK water industry.
We aim to support the careers of people working in all professions and at all levels across the UK water industry, by offering a unique and independent learning, development and networking framework.
Membership ultimately offers people who work in the industry (regardless of their qualifications or discipline/department) the opportunity to broaden their knowledge and develop within the sector. Several benefits of becoming an Institute of Water member are as follows:
The Institute of Water is licensed to award Professional Engineering, Environmental and Science registrations at all levels:
- Engineering Technician (EngTech)
- Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Chartered Scientist (CSci)
- Registered Scientist (RSci)
- Registered Scientist Technician (RSciTech)
- Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv)
- Registered Environmentalist Technician (REnvTech)
Please see our Professional Registration pages to find out more about each of these registrations and how you can apply.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Institute of Water members can record their continuing professional development (CPD) online using our exclusive online CPD platform.
- The Institute of Water believes that it is important that all our members participate in some form of CPD. All of our Corporate Members are expected to be committed to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and must adhere to our Code of Conduct.
- If you have a professional registration, it is a requirement that you maintain an effective CPD record.
- The Institute of Water Online Mentoring Programme is an initiative which aims to unlock potential, support career goals and develop talent in the water industry. We support our members by offering those who are looking to gain additional knowledge or advice, the opportunity to learn about a new area of the water industry, apply for professional accreditation or to simply acquire guidance on building and enhancing their career.
- Our online mentoring platform asks mentors to highlight their skills and knowledge of the water industry which will then be used to strategically match you to a suitable mentee whose goals and objective(s) tie in with what you are able to offer. You will then work together with your mentee in building a mentoring relationship that is malleable to their circumstances and requirements; with the Institute of Water offering support and guidance as and when required.
- Access a mentoring scheme designed to enhance internal employee development programmes and expose you to other elements of the Water Industry.
- Becoming a member of Institute of Water also allows access a range of events on Water Industry topics at both national and regional level.
- Events are often free or discounted to members.
- Attending events is an excellent opportunity to enhance your CV, by getting involved on your local Area Committee organising activities, this can also provide evidence towards your Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
- Access to a tailor made induction course to the UK Water Industry.
- Meet and network with top people from inside and outside the Water Industry at a range of formal and social events.
- Gain recognition through a range of Water Industry specific awards.
- Access a tailor made programme developed in partnership with Utility Week to celebrate and reward eight young members each year who have demonstrated both the potential and an appetite to progress in the Water Industry.
- Exclusive access to presentations and papers from a range of Water Industry conferences and seminars.
- A quarterly magazine to keep you up to date with Water Industry and Institute news as well as case studies and features on topical issues.
- An opportunity for you to write an article for our bi-annual Journal.
- Access to the full website and e-news bulletins to keep you updated with relevant news and information.