Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

If you are a competent practising engineer and are interested in developing your career and improving your job prospects why not consider becoming a registered engineer? The Institute of Water is licensed to register Chartered Engineers, Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians. There are different pathways to registration available and full advice and support throughout the application process is offered.

Who can become an Incorporated Engineer?

Registration is open to anyone who can demonstrate competence to perform work to the necessary standards, commitment to maintain that competence, work within professional codes and participate actively within the profession.

To find out whether you can register as an Incorporated Engineer, click here for the Engineering Council’s Specification booklet (UK-SPEC).

Why become an Incorporated Engineer?

  • Enhanced professional status
  • Improved career prospects
  • Higher earnings potential
  • Employer assurance


How to become an Incorporated Engineer

Consider the standards required for registration as an Incorporated Engineer by reading the relevant section within the UK-SPEC booklet and decide whether these apply to you (you should discuss this with your line manager or another registered engineer). If you are ready to apply, download an application form and applicant’s short guide and follow the process outlined in the guide.

All candidates for registration as an Incorporated Engineer must be members of a professional body such as the Institute of Water. Click here to find out more about Institute of Water membership.

As part of your application you will be asked to produce a copy of your CPD record. Institute of Water members have exclusive access to our online CPD platform to support you in the recording and presenting of this, click here to find out more.


  • Professional Review Fees for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) £168
  • Initial Registration Fees (covers registration until your next membership renewal date) for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) £44.90
  • Annual Renewal Fees for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) £34.70


For guidance and advice on professional registration, contact Sarah Dunn, Professional Registration Coordinator, on 0191 422 0088 or


International Registration

Individuals registered in the UK as Incorporated Engineers (IEng) now have the opportunity to gain wider recognition for their particular skills and expertise. Provided they have the necessary qualifications and experience, they can apply for the title of International Engineering Technologist (IntET), aimed at making it easier for holders to practise their profession overseas. The Engineering Council is responsible for maintaining the UK section of the IntET Register.

Anyone wishing to register can download an application form. All applicants should read the guidance notes before completing the application form. Registration fees are £105, renewable every 5 years at a fee of £60. Cheques should be payable to ‘Institute of Water’ and submitted with the application form and supporting evidence outlined on the form.