The International Water Association (IWA) is a global network of water professionals, bringing the science and practice of water management closer together and covering all facets of the water cycle. It helps water professionals create innovative, pragmatic and sustainable solutions to challenging global water needs. IWA is a growing and vibrant organisation that offers innovative programmes, a series of highly respected worldwide events and world-class scientific publications.
The IWA UK Committee is a sub-committee of the Institute of Water – in effect, its ‘international arm’ – and supports the delivery of the IWA’s Critical Objectives and Strategic Goals:
- An engaged and balanced membership: increase the number of IWA UK members, and encourage active participation, by adding value to networking and knowledge exchange opportunities, and by extending IWA’s reach to a broader community of professionals
- A source for leading–edge water knowledge: develop and promote best practice and international frameworks and standards that support a transition to greater sustainability in the water sector at a local and global scale
- A space for professionals to exchange water knowledge, experience and knowhow: provide opportunities for IWA members – particularly young professionals – to publish and share information, and to create innovative solutions for the UK and internationally
- A bridge between research and practice: provide a platform to promote research into, and the dissemination of, new technologies, services and practices, and promote a systems approach to drive innovation and change in the water sector
- Support the implementation of the SDG’s: support and promote the agenda of the SDG’s, and aim to increase capability and capacity to achieve sustainable development, and the delivery of SDG6 in particular, in the UK and internationally.
Thanks to support from sponsors, the IWA UK Committee has run an affordable and attractive Annual Conference for young professionals within the water sector every year since 2000.
This year, to work around coronavirus, the YWP Conference was replaced by a series of lunchtime webinars which you can access by clicking on the links below:
IWA YWP UK Webinar Chapter 1: The ‘S’ Word | Recording
IWA YWP UK Webinar Chapter 2: The ‘S’ Word | Recording
IWA World Water Congress & Exhibition
Are you a member of the Institute of Water and keen to find out about water challenges and solutions worldwide? If so, there is an amazing opportunity just around the corner. The International Water Association (IWA) World Water Congress and Exhibition will take place between the 9th and 14th May 2021* in Copenhagen, Denmark and you could be there!
We are offering to fund places (registration, travel and accommodation) for two members to attend.
One place is reserved for a Young Water Professional (under-35 or in the early stages of a water industry career); the other is open to any Institute of Water member.
The successful candidates will be expected to produce a blog and social media content whilst in Copenhagen to share with other Institute of Water members. They will also be expected to present at a local Institute of Water event on their return.
Closing date is 13th November 2020.
*Note change of date
The IWA has 50 Specialist Groups covering a wide range of subjects, offering like-minded IWA members to network and share knowledge. Tom Williams, Vice Chair, is talking to IWA members in the UK who have lead roles in any of the Specialist Groups to find out how the UK Committee can get closer to them. If you are an active member and would like to connect with Tom, please see his email below.